So where am I exactly with this grand scheme to build a model railway? It's getting on for 18 months since I started this blog, and even then the idea of constructing a layout had been simmering away for a few months. As of this moment in time, what I have to show for all this time is, well...
- a box of RTR locos and rolling stock
- a handheld Gaugemaster controller
- a small collection of kit-built wagons in various stages of completion
- a token length of ballasted and weathered track (on which the collection of wagons currently resides)
- an almost-complete scratchbuilt weighbridge office
- dozens of track plans and layout designs
- a growing library of railway magazines and books covering both prototype and modelling)
Oh yes, and 2 baseboards which I made around Christmas time and then have done nothing with since - largely down to the fact that I decided they were too small.
Well, with a recent reappraisal of our financial situation it has become obvious that I really should stop simply stock-piling and start to make use of what I already have. And those baseboards might just come in handy after all... if I can come up with a layout plan that would fit and would satisfy those elusive layout criteria.
To add to the confusion, I've found myself increasingly drawn to the idea of modelling the blue diesel era, having drawn considerable inspiration recently from layouts like Wibdenshaw, Oldshaw, Canada Road and so on. Realistically, right now at least, I can't really afford to be buying more stuff so I'm going to have to stick with what I've got - BR(WR) steam.
Anyway, enough talking....