Wednesday 18 January 2006

Revised track plan

(Click on the image to see a larger version.)

Not much has changed really since the previous track plan I posted. The main difference is that this one is based on measurements taken from the track templates I got from Marcway so is hopefully to within a few inches of how it will be.

The layout is designed to take a maximum train length of 3 coaches and a tender engine, or equivalent. Both platforms will accomodate 3 coach trains although the main platform is about 5 coach lengths taking into account the run-around facility.

Most of the pointwork is 36" radius with just one 72" radius point in the goods yard.

It's a shame there aren't another 2 or 3 feet of length to play with - it would have been nice to have a little more distance to run the trains before they disappear 'off stage' (replicating some of the scenes around Glastonbury in those S&D photos). I've even semi-seriously contemplated doing away with the hidden sidings altogether for the sake of the additional scenic potential, but for all the advantages from a modelling and photographic perspective, it would make layout operation a hassle - having to constantly lift trains on and off the layout. I guess I'll just have to make the most of the limited space I've got. A well-painted backscene will go a long way to giving a sense of space and of the railway 'in the landscape' which is what I want to acheive. (I think some practise backscene-painting will be in order!)

I'm also wondering whether to do away with the level crossing and to make more of the 2 1/2 feet or so there is beyond the station appraoch and engine shed. This is still enough space to at least suggest at the idea of the railway running through the countryside.

With the inspiration gleaned from those photos I'm thinking of having the track on a slight embankment (which would mean building up the track beds and whole station area using maybe polystyrene tiles or similar) so I can have one of those drainage ditches so typical of the Someset levels. It would only need to be half an inch going by some of those photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment